Compliments and complaints may be directed to the professional standards section.
It is imperative for the citizens of Ann Arbor to have confidence in the integrity of the police department and its employees. The Ann Arbor Police Department has the highest expectations of all of its members. It is greatly appreciated when our AAPD personnel is recognized when service or actions have been extraordinary or outstanding. If you feel an officer or employee has handled an incident particularly well or that their service has gone above and beyond expectations, please feel free to let us know.
AAPD also recognizes there may be instances when concerns must be shared. To maintain the respect of the Ann Arbor community, it is the policy of AAPD to investigate all allegations and complaints of misconduct against any member of the police department or concerns about our department’s policies and procedures. Please note the below policy and process. Proper adherence to the provisions of this policy will resolve disputes and facilitate prompt and equitable corrective disciplinary action.
- To file a complaint and/or compliment an employee, contact Lt. Michael Scherba of the professional standards section, by coming in person to the police department, contacting us by writing, or by phone. If the professional standards section lieutenant is not available please contact the patrol command desk. See below for contact information.
- All complaints received by non supervisory employees will be immediately directed to a police supervisor.
- Letters or telephone calls may be anonymous.
- On all complaints, a personnel complaint form is completed by a police department supervisor, based on the information provided.
- Persons making a complaint are encouraged to provide a written account of the incident to avoid conflicts in interpretation.
- A copy of all complaints and the resulting investigation will be routed to the chief’s office for review and resolution.
- Notification will be made to the reporting party informing him/her of the results of the departmental investigation. If the complainant did not give an address or phone number, notification cannot be made. However, you may contact our professional standards section at 734.794.6912 for explanation of how your complaint was resolved. A letter will be sent on those investigations that will involve a significant amount of time. The letter will explain the status of the investigation.
For compliments or complaints, please contact: Professional Standards, Lt. Michael Scherba, 734.794.6912, firstname.lastname@example.org or call the AAPD patrol command desk at 734.794.6921.