In Ann Arbor, recycling is easy - and is provided at no extra charge! Free weekly recycling collection is available to every home, apartment, nonprofit and business located in Ann Arbor.
Recycling helps curb greenhouse gas emissions, creates cleaner air and water, reduces space necessary for landfills, allows manufacturer's easy access to raw materials reducing the need for new mining, saves energy, creates new jobs and conserves resources for future generations.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the average American produces 4.4 pounds of waste per day, totaling 229 million tons of waste each year. By participating in existing recycling and composting programs, we can easily cut that residential waste in half.
Recycling carts are required unless location is using an approved recycling dumpster for materials. Recycling carts are managed by Recycle Ann Arbor.
Single family home/duplex:
- May select one free 32, 64, or 96-gallon recycling cart.
- First cart delivery is free.
- Additional recycling carts are $50 each.
- No fee for swapping cart size, $25 delivery fee. Carts must be empty and clean before being traded in.
- Each household may select one free 32- 64, or 96-gallon recycling cart.
- Free first cart delivery to new construction or annexation address.
- Additional recycling carts $50 each, one-time cost, payable to RAA.
- No charge for delivery of initial recycling carts, based on need.
For most homeowners, residents or businesses, please contact Recycle Ann Arbor to find out how you can start recycling today.
If your business, however, is located within the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) region, or if your business has recycling dumpsters only (no carts), please contact the Customer Service Center, 734.99.GREEN, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mixed paper – newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, office paper, cardboard (including pizza boxes, minus the pizza), frozen food and cereal-type boxes, milk cartons, juice boxes, shredded paper (placed in a clear plastic bag).
- Metal cans, lids, glass bottles and jars.
- Scrap metal up to 1 cubic yard, 20 pounds per piece.
- Rinsed plastic bottles, containers and tubs labeled 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- Larger plastic items like laundry baskets, milk crates, lawn chairs and buckets may also be recycled so long as they fit into the cart with the lid closed.
- "Aseptic" and "Tetrapak" packages. These are typically containers/boxes that are used for juice, soymilk, chicken broth, almond milk, etc.
To find out if a specific item can be recycled, please visit Earth911 or Recycle Ann Arbor's A-Z online recycle guides. You can also download Earth911's smart phone app "iRecycle" via app stores on Android or iPhone.
If your business is located in the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) region, or if your business has recycling dumpsters only (no carts), your recycling services are provided directly by the City of Ann Arbor. Call 734.994.2807 for more information.
If your business is located outside of the DDA, and has recycling carts, your recycling services are provided by Recycle Ann Arbor. Call 734.662.6288 for more information or to report a missed pickup.
Ann Arbor's municipal Materials Recovery Facility or MRF (pronounced like "murf"), located at 4150 Platt Road, is the City's recycling plant. Free open houses and pre-arranged week day group tours are available.
For more information on tours of the MRF and educational information, please visit the Ecology Center online. You may also contact the Ecology Center by emailing them at email@example.com or by phone at 734.369 .9272.
For MRF operations and markets information, please contact ReCommunity at 734.971.8797. CTN has also produced a short video explaining how single stream recycling works and how recycling is sorted and packaged at the MRF.