City construction and traffic controls
MDOT and WCRC project updates
Special event closures
The City of Ann Arbor is partnering with WAZE to provide residents, visitors and commuters a better way of learning about road construction and traffic controls within the city. By using WAZE.com or the WAZE app (available in your smartphones app store), drivers can view real time traffic information and get directions.
City of Ann Arbor construction and traffic controls
Stadium Boulevard: Monday, Nov. 21 through July 2017. Beginning on Monday, Nov. 21, 2016, Stadium Blvd between South Main Street and South Industrial Highway will be closed to through traffic for reconstruction and utilities work (Stage 1). Local access to Kipke Drive, the University of Michigan's Golf Course (Blue Course) and the Ann Arbor Golf and Outing Club will be maintained by approaching from South Industrial Highway. East Stadium
Blvd will be completely closed at South Main St. Pedestrian traffic will be maintained along the north sidewalk of East Stadium Blvd throughout the project. Sidewalk will be reduced to five feet with a chain link fence along construction zone.
For current stage 1 work, Eastbound traffic on West Stadium Blvd will be detoured south on Main St, east on Eisenhower then north onto South Industrial. Westbound traffic on East Stadium Blvd will be detoured south on South Industrial, west onto Eisenhower then north on Main St. Please see the detour map (PDF) for a visual description of the current and future detours to come.
In addition, traffic movements at the intersection of South Main and Stadium Blvd will be altered for construction. Please see the map (PDF) for more detail on these changes.
2016/17 Winter parking restrictions
Parking during the overnight hours will be restricted as follows:
No parking 10 p.m. - 6 a.m.
Odd/even parking restrictions 1 a.m. - 6 a.m.
*An odd/even schedule means on even calendar days, parking will be allowed on the side of the street with even numbered addresses and vice versa. Just remember, even/even, odd/odd parking.
The City will modify parking on Dewey, Greenwood Avenue and Vaughn Street from its current one-side permitted parking to alternate odd/even parking.
Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) projects
Please note: To stay informed of projects managed by entities other than the City of Ann Arbor, please subscribe directly to receive
MDOT updates (follow the link and click the envelope on the left of the page) and consult the
US-23 Flex Route Project
March 21, 2017 Update:
Beginning at 9 pm on Thursday, March 23rd through 7 am on Friday, March 24th: Single lane closure on NB US-23 at N. Territorial to install an ITS Gantry (truss).
Between 1 am and 4 am on Friday, March 24th: 15 minute intermittent freeway closure on NB US-23 at N. Territorial to install an ITS Gantry (truss).
Beginning at 9 pm on Thursday, March 23rd through 7 am Friday, March 24th: Single lane closure on NB US-23 from Barker Rd to 8 Mile Rd for beam setting.
Beginning at 8 pm on Monday, March 27th through 7 am on Tuesday, March 28th: Single lane closure on NB US-23 from Barker to 8 Mile Rd for beam setting.
Starting in 2016, road and bridge improvements will begin along US-23 in Washtenaw and Livingston counties between M-14 and Silver Lake Road. As part of this $92 million investment, MDOT will implement the Flex Route traffic management system along the highway between M-14 and M-36.
Early stages of construction include shoulder repairs in both directions, temporary ramp extensions, temporary widening of the Barker Road and the Great Lakes Central Railroad bridges, median drainage work, and minor structure work at 6 Mile, 8 Mile and N. Territorial roads.
Starting Monday, Nov. 7, there will be overnight single-lane closures on northbound US-23 between M-14 and Silver Lake Road. Lane closures will occur between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. each night to accommodate the shoulder repair and ramp extension work. Following this work, a traffic shift will be installed in each direction to accommodate the temporary bridge widening and median work. This stage of the project is expected to take until mid- to late November.
Once construction begins, work is expected to continue through the winter and into 2017. Additional lane closure and detour notices will be provided as the project progresses. The goal is to complete the project by the end of 2017.
Project information is available on the US-23 Flex Route project website at flexroute23.com.
(Unless otherwise noted, special events listed are not sponsored or endorsed by the City of Ann Arbor.)
Sunday, March 26, 2017 from 3 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. the following streets will be closed for the Ann Arbor Marathon Running (PDF) special event:
- Eastern Northbound lane of Main St from Stadium to William
- South Main St between William and Liberty (clean-up in this block will continue until no later than 3:30 p.m.)
- East Liberty from South Main St to South State
- South State from Monroe to East Liberty
- East William from South Main St to South State
- Division between William and Liberty
- Southern/Eastbound lane of North University from State to the pedestrian bridge
- Observatory from Washington Heights to Geddes
- Northern/Westbound lanes of Geddes from Observatory to Huron Pkwy
- Northbound lanes of Huron Pkwy between Geddes and East Huron River Dr
- Northern/Westbound lane of East Huron River Dr from South Huron Pkwy to Dixboro Rd
- Old Dixboro Rd from Dixboro to Gallup Park
- Eastbound lane of Fuller Rd from Huron Pkwy to Fuller Ct
- Outer/Western Southbound lane of Huron Pkwy from Fuller Rd to Geddes
- Eastbound lane of Fuller Ct between Gallup Park and East Medical Center Dr
- Eastbound lane of Fuller Rd from Fuller Ct to East Medical Center Dr
- Northernmost/Westbound lane of East Medical Center Dr from Fuller Rd to Nichols Dr to the entrance of the Arboretum
- Washington Hgts between East Medical Center Dr and Observatory
- South University Ave between East University and State
- Tappan between South University and Monroe
- Monroe from Tappan to State
Sunday, April 9, 2017 from 5:30 a.m. through 10:30 a.m. the following streets will be closed for the University of Michigan Trail to the Victors 5K (PDF) special event:
- State St from near the Stadium Bridge to North University
- Monroe St from State to Tappan
- Tappan from Monroe St to South University
- South University from State to East University
- East University from South University to Fletcher
- North University from State St to the Bus Shelters
- Fletcher St from North University to East Washington St
- East Washington St from Fletcher to Thayer
- Thayer from East Washington to North University
- Madison from State to Division
- Division from Madison to Hoover
- Hoover from State St to Greene and Keech (finish inside the Big House)
Friday, April 14, 2017 from 1 a.m. to 9 p.m. the following streets will be closed for the MUSIC Matters SpringFest (PDF) special event:
- North University St between Thayer and Fletcher
State of Michigan Department of Transportation online resource: View a map of local and statewide maintenance, construction, lane closures and restrictions.