Click to Skip Navigation
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Services > Other Services > Housing Commission > FAQ
Housing Commission
Housing Commission Staff
Board of Commissioners Page - Information, Resolutions, Meeting Minutes & Board Packets
Section 8
Low-Income Public Housing
Housing and Services Resources
AAHC Agency Plan
Utility Allowance Schedules
Site Improvements and Development
Data and Reports
Vendor Information and Section 3
Section 8 HCV Property Search
Shelter Plus Care Program
Section 8 and Landlords
Family Self Sufficiency Program
Ann Arbor Housing Development Corporation


Frequently Asked Questions:        
What is the difference between Public Housing and Section 8?
Public Housing is a rental subsidy program under which you must move into one of the 355 rental units owned and maintained by the Ann Arbor Housing Commission. You will pay your calculated rent to the Ann Arbor Housing Commission whose employees maintain your unit and your site.

Section 8 is another rental subsidy program under which you would use a voucher to help you obtain housing from any private landlord that will accept Section 8 participants in Washtenaw, Monroe and Western Wayne counties. You will pay that landlord your calculated rent and the Housing Commission will pay your landlord the difference between your rent and the actual cost of the dwelling unit. The landlord is responsible for the upkeep of your dwelling unit and the site where you live.

How do I get on the Public Housing waiting list?
Each different unit size (from one to five bedrooms) has a separate waiting list for which you must complete and submit an application to the Housing Commission.  All up-to-date applications remain on an active waiting list until program eligibility is determined. Applications are for the waiting list only, not for immediate assistance. 

How do I get on the Section 8 waiting list?
You must complete and submit an application when the waiting list is open.   All up-to-date applications remain on an active waiting list until program eligibility is determined.  Applications are for the waiting list only, not for immediate assistance. 

What is a Project Based Voucher?
A Project Based Voucher is a  Section 8 (HCV) Voucher that is only usable for a specific property.

When will the waitlist open? Prior notice will be placed in and on Community Television Network (CTN), as well as this website, prior to the opening or closing of individual waiting lists.  

Will paper applications be available?
Applicants will apply electronically.  However if applicants need a reasonable accommodation to apply, please contact the AAHC to request an accommodation (details in the notice).
How do I place my application electronically?

You may only apply while the waitlist is open. You must have an email account to place an application online.    click here for more information on how to enter your application.

What if I don't have an email account?

You may set up an email account through Google. Click here Create a Gmail address - Gmail Help - Google Help to setup your gmail account.


Will the Housing Commission help me find a Section 8 rental unit?
You must search to locate a landlord who will accept you as a tenant (based on rental history, etc.), as well as accept your Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher.  Landlord listings can be viewed on the bulletin board located at our office.

Office Location and Hours:

 727 Miller Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm
Phone: (734) 794-6720
Fax: (734) 994-0781
Finance & Administrative Office
404 N. Ashley
Ann Arbor, MI  48103
Mon - Fri Hours: 8am – 4pm
Phone: 734 794-6720 ext 47205

Go to the top