The following types of reports can be made on-line (all other non-emergency reports can be reported to the Police Front Desk at (734) 794-6920):
Harassing phone calls/No known suspects
Theft/No known suspects (not home/business entered illegally)
Vandalism/No known suspects
Private Property or minor "fender-bender" Traffic Crash
In most cases these reports will not be investigated. The report simply documents that you reported an incident to the Ann Arbor Police Department. Once the report is reviewed and approved you will be provided an incident report number.
If this incident occurred on the University of Michigan campus, you must contact the University of Michigan Department of Public Safety to report the incident. For contact information, click here.
What do I need to make a report?
Please make sure that you have all information needed at the time that you make your report. For example: Private Property or a minor "fender-bender" Traffic Crash Report - have your vehicle registration and proof of insurance.
What should I include in the report?
Please ensure that you provide thorough accurate information. The details should include:
- The time frames in which the incident occurred.
- How you became aware of the incident.
- A description of what happened.
- Location of the incident. It is important that you confirm the incident actually occurred within the Ann Arbor city limits. To verify an address click here.
- If you are reporting a traffic crash and you are not sure of the exact location locate a business nearest to that location and use that address.
- Any vehicle, insurance, or account information that is needed depending on the type incident report.
Once you have submitted your information:
- You will be given a temporary reference number. You will not be able to obtain a copy of your report using the "temporary reference number"
- Your report will be reviewed within 3 - 5 business days. Once it is approved, you will receive an e-mail with your incident number and instructions on how you can obtain a copy of your report.
- Tell us what you think. The Ann Arbor Police Department values your opinion. Please complete this two-minute survey and tell us about your experience. Thank you.