A Master Composter is a trained volunteer who understands home composting, benefits of compost, how to use natural mulches, and environmentally-friendly lawn care. Course topics also include water quality, waste reduction, and biodiversity. Those interested in becoming certified Master Composters complete the class and take-home exam, has experience with composting, and volunteers 10 hours/year with a self-designed project or helping a nonprofit with any type of composting-related or outdoor volunteer activity.
The Washtenaw area Master Composter teachers offer an annual, year-end pizza gathering (our treat) for interested Master Composters to receive recognition for their activities, swap ideas, and have fun. We provide a brief program or speaker presentation in order to to continue life-long compost education. All Master Composter students--current and past attendees--are welcome to attend this fall event.
Volunteer Log Sheet
Volunteer Oppurtunities - Events and Organizations
The following listings provide opportunities for volunteers to provide valuable assistance to area organizations:
Student Idea Exchange:
Compost Education Table or Workshop at a Transition Ann Arbor "ReSkilling Festival"
- A great opportunity for our WCCSWM Master Composter Volunteer graduates to share their sustainable skills and composting (outdoor/worm bin) knowledge with the community generally held at the Rudolf Steiner High School located at 2230 Pontiac Trail. MC volunteers are welcomed to sign up for just a few hours or stay for the whole event, Please check out the Transition Ann Arbor website for workshop dates http://transitionannarbor.org/.
- To volunteer, please contact Lisa Perschke at email@example.com.
Compost Education Table at the "Ypsilanti Heritage Festival"
Flower Planting and Mulching at A2 Spring Blooms Day,
- (Saturday 9-Noon, mid- May). Join hundreds of volunteers to help beautiful Ann Arbor. Free t-shirt and pizza lunch. For more information go to www.a2gov.org/A2bloomsday
Give 365 Program (City of Ann Arbor)
Grass Lake Santuary
- Offers volunteer oportunities to maintain beautiful natural areas and nonpofit retreat sanctuary in Manchester. Information at www.grasslakesanctuary.org.
- Nonprofit educational group with volunteer opportunities with demonstration gardens, workshops, outreach programs, somposting programs, and community events. Information at www.growinghope.net.
Huron River Watershed Council
Leaf raking for seniors with with the "Neighborhood Senior Services" nonprofit group
- Annual workday, held mid-November, Check out www.nssweb.net for more information and specific dates.
- This is an easy way to help out and earn 4-6 volunteer hours at one great event!
Legacy Land Conservancy
Leslie Science & Nature Center
Help with this nonprofit's composting bin system, used by summer day-campers and year-round. Help support this public park site that includes a live birds of prey center. Contact Francie Krawcke francie@LeslieSNC.org.
Master Gardeners of Western Wayne County
Master Gardeners of Western Wayne County www.mgwwc.org, holds meetings at the MSU Extension Office. Has many volunteer opportunities, including tentative plans to try some Hugelkultur planting at the Extension Office.
Natural Areas Preservation (NAP)
State Park Volunteer Stewardship Workdays
Send leads for other potential Master Composter volunteer opportunities to Nancy Stone, firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Back to the Master Composter page.
- Back to www.a2gov.org/compost
- Back to www.a2gov.org/recycle
- Back to www.a2gov.org home page